Friday, January 30, 2009

When ever I smell sawdust, I think of Dad and his wood shop under the carport in the Sandy house.  He kept all his nails, and screws and little bits and pieces in coffee cans he collected from work.  (we also kept our crayons in a big green coffee can he brought home from work.)  He helped us paint rocks, and make cardboard picture frames to sell for our 'mini-society' and school.  He helped us to use the left over bathroom tiles to make pot holders for mothers day. (which I still have, and use) I climbed scaffolding with him, and helped him to put siding on the house.  He taught me how to paint with long up and down strokes.  We used saw horses and plywood planks with tablecloths over them for family dinners in the back yard, or under the carport.  I also remember the small tables and chairs he made for all the grandchildren for Christmas one year.  (Thanks to Colin for making a table for my kids!!) 
He spent long hours in the basement seated at a card table building his model planes and painting them with those itty bitty jars of paint.
He also loved to draw house plans.  I remember being excited for the new house he had planned to build on the lot in West Jordan.  It had a bathroom like the brady bunch - two doors opening to a bedroom on each side!  It was across the street from a church, and we teased him that if we moved there, he would become the bishop.

What do you remember about Dad and his hobbies?  

1 comment:

Toddy said...

Dad tought me how to assemble and paint models. It always amazed me how paitient and detailed he was. His hand were always so steady and acurate. No matter how hard I tried, I was never able to as good of job as he did building models. It didn't matter if it was a car, boat, or airplane, he was the best.