Friday, May 1, 2009

courage

courage is the word that comes to mind when i think of jim's fight against cancer. he faced the battle with such faith and optimism! i always marveled at his courage to face each new day. i will miss his cheerful enthusiasm for life.

i've been remembering so many things these past few days. like the cute pink outfit jim picked out for hannah when she turned one. he explained he knew just what a little girl would like, after all, he had two of his own.
when we were all in san diego for nate and liz's wedding, jim took some of us sisters out to lunch at the califonia pizza kitchen, but not before we dragged him to a store looking for a slip, earrings and other last minute items. he was such a good sport. i know we all had a fun visit that day.
just last may, jim & patti arrived on my doorstep with gift in hand for baby easton. it just so happened i was preparing to go to primary children's to have easton tested for his projectile vomiting. i was a bit of a wreck. jim explained all about boston's surgery for pyloric stenosis. when it turned out that's what e had, it was so comforting for me to know boston had been through the same thing and it turned out fine. i was glad they stopped by precisely when they did.
i will also remember the priesthood blessings jim gave me since dad wasn't here to do it.

i hope some of you will share memories too. i think it's healing and hopefully patti and the kids would enjoy reading your thoughts here as well.

xo
janet

3 comments:

Susan said...

I remember being in woodshop in the seventh grade, only it's real title was vocational something or other. As part of the class we had to do reports and demonstrations on different vocations. Jim was a paramedic at the time, and came in to talk to my class. He came in wearing his uniform with his big EMT bag - if that wasn't impressive enough to a bunch of twelve year olds, his great sense of humor surely charmed us all. I remember being so proud that he was MY BROTHER. I have always been proud of Jim. It's been fun the past several years running in to people who know him from somewhere. As a missionary at the Hill Cumorah, Elder Vaughn J. Featherstone approached me and asked me if I was related to an elder Jim Meeks. A few years later, one of the sisters I served with was in Jim's singles ward. When I went to an Oakcrest reunion last year, one of the other counselors asked about Jim. I can't even remember how she knew him. And of course, any time we went to an instacare or somewhere and saw a PA, they'd see my maiden name on the chart and ask if I was related to Jim Meeks -- when I told them I was, they would always telll me what a great guy he was and how much they liked him. I think most of them had been taught by him at the U.
I remember our lunch at CPK too. It was a fun and rare time spent together as sibling. We don't do that very often in this family.
I also remember the year that he dressed up as tweety bird for halloween. :)
When I think of Jim and his battle with cancer I think overwhelmingly of his GREAT ATTITUDE! So many of us in this family struggle with depression, and since I'm one of them, it truly amazed me the way he always seemed to be happy about life and have a smile on his face no matter what was going on. I have such an immense admiration for that.

I love you JIm! I'm so glad you're not hurting or struggling anymore, but we'll miss you....a lot. God be with us all till we meet again. xoxo Susan

The Roz's said...

I remember Uncle Jim always being so funny. He flipped his eyelids inside out and would shake your hand really fast to make your arm wiggle. He wore a microscopic view Gonnorhea tie to my wedding. Only he could pull that off!

Bob said...

Jim was still healing during his battle with cancer...Even his temporal death brought about some family healing. Our thoughts and prayers remain with Patty and Family...While Jim and Patty were with us in San Diego earlier this year, he wrote a quick note on our kitchen blackboard, "Went to K-Mart. We'll be back shortly." Mel never erased it and I think it is prophetic...He will be back 'shortly' along with all our loved ones who have passed mortality's test and continue their good works beyond the veil while awaiting the Resurrection and Our Savior's Second Coming.